To follow this blog by email, give your address here...

Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Glocal memory, neural nets, AI, psi

The dichotomy between localized and globalized (distributed) memory in the brain and world is pretty much bullcrap.

For a long time I've had the idea of harmonizing the two, and the Novamente and OpenCog AGI designs incorporate this harmony, as do the speculative brain theories I proposed in my books in the 1990s.

But I never really articulated the concept of global/local ... i.e. glocal ... memory in a general way before, which I've now done in a semi-technical essay called "Glocal Memory"

http://www.goertzel.org/dynapsyc/2008/glocal_memory.htm

I decided to write up the glocal memory stuff now because I'm writing a technical paper on glocal Hopfield neural nets and glocal attention allocation in OpenCog, and I wanted to have something to reference in the paper on glocal-memory-in-general, and there wasn't anything....

In case that's not odd enough for you, I also posted another essay using the glocal memory concept to give a possible model for how psi might work, building on others' ideas regarding filter and transmission models of mind:

http://www.goertzel.org/dynapsyc/2008/glocal_psi.htm

Whoop-di-doodly-dandy-oh

No comments: