Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Mind Uploading via Gmail

Cut and pasted from Giulio Prisco's blog here

(with one small change)

...

Mind Uploading via Gmail

To whom it may concern:

I am writing this in 2010. My Gmail account has more than 20GB of data, which contain some information about me and also some information about the persons I have exchanged email with, including some personal and private information.

I am assuming that in 2060 (50 years from now), my Gmail account will have hundreds or thousands of TB of data, which will contain a lot of information about me and the persons I exchanged email with, including a lot of personal and private information. I am also assuming that, in 2060:

  1. The data in the accounts of all Gmail users since 2004 is available.
  2. AI-based mindware technology able to reconstruct individual mindfiles by analyzing the information in their aggregate Gmail accounts and other available information, with sufficient accuracy for mind uploading via detailed personality reconstruction, is available.
  3. The technology to crack Gmail passwords is available, but illegal without the consent of the account owners (or their heirs).
  4. Many of today's Gmail users, including myself, are already dead and cannot give permission to use the data in their accounts.

If all assumptions above are correct, I hereby give permission to Google and/or other parties to read all data in my Gmail account and use them together with other available information to reconstruct my mindfile with sufficient accuracy for mind uploading via detailed personality reconstruction, and express my wish that they do so.

Signed by Ben Goertzel on September 28, 2010, and witnessed by readers.

NOTE: The accuracy of the process outlined above increases with the number of persons who give their permission to do the same. You can give your permission in comments, Twitter or other public spaces.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe an "after my death" or "in 2060" condition would be useful?

And I'm wondering about legal points.
I don't know, but maybe this cannot be sufficient to allow them for getting your data.
A PGP signature would be more reliable I suppose.
Although this certainly depends on countries.

Anonymous said...

I like the idea. Can my alter ego please have 8 spider legs, then? Some years ago I told a good friend who works in cybernetics to get the job done. Unfortunately there has not been real progress to far. Anyway, I assume, in 2060 the job will be done.

Anonymous said...

What about mails deleted from Gmail? Does Gmail store all mails deleted permanently?

If not, how can it be an accurate mind map? People delete mails from their ex's for example.

Unknown said...

How can we verify that "Ben Goertzel" posted this statement? How can we verify that "Ben Goertzel" even owns this google account?

By 2060, "Ben Goertzel" will probably be as legendary as the "Jimi Hendrix", "James Joyce" and "William Blake" personalities that can presently be found on myspace, facebook, blogger and youtube. By 2060, who is "Ben Goertzel", if not the mytho-poetic genius who laid the foundations for the virtual personalities that compose the majority of the world's sentient minds? Surely, he is legend, and no mere fact of historical record, hence the truth of his existence is extremely ambiguous at best.